The Bindass Bhidu………..


Just a few days back, the Bhidu of Bollywood Cinema Mr. Jackie Shroff graced a press briefing at 46th International Film Festival of India to speak about his association with MIFF (Mumbai Internation Film Festival). 

I still recollect that particular day, it was one of it’s kind; not that I could see the sun during the night or stars during the day!
But that day had something different that made me think, being successful is not equal to be proud! 

On my Journey from my station head office to the IFFI 2015 venue, where press briefing of the ace star would take place, took me roughly 5 minutes with my colleague. As we rushed to the place, I thought I was late and hence ran upstairs to the venue trying to catch my breadth so that I look very calm and compose as I get all set to the listen to Mr. Jackie Shroff.  But only after reaching there, there was a whole new scenario infront of me: many press reporters and delegates already were present in that room with a whole set of preconceived notions about Bollywood stars. These notions slowly started bustling the room with  comments like, “Bollywood stars never arrive on time, if they do I guess then they aren’t Bollywood stars at all.” Amidst the talks, the time began ticking faster than it could be, nearing lunch time. And so there was another comment “Is ke chakar mein, mein aaj lunch nahi kiya! (I didn’t have my lunch because of this press conference) With this background music, I sitting right in the centre of the press room, began writing and cancelling questions that I could ask  Mr. Shroff during my personal interview. (The interview wasn't a planned one but my job is this way, one has to prepared for the unprepared)

The noisy room suddenly had a pin drop silence and one could actually feel a new surge energy bustling in the room. By the time, I could guess what was the matter my colleagues informed me that Mr. Jackie Shroff has arrived... 

That very moment, a music played in my mind, (this was the same music that plays during the oscar award ceremony) Slowly the door opened - bringing along with it a bright light. And throught that light a shadow of a big man entered - Yes! There was no guesses it was Mr. Jackie Shroff. 

Mr. Shroff entered the place with his signature bindass walk - wearing a white kurta and blue nehru jacket. Unlike the typical stars Mr. Shroff didn't rush to the podium because he was late, rather he slowly and steadily wished and greeted almost everyone in the room personally as he made his way to the podium. Soon those preconceived notions disappeared the air of that room, as the gestures that were made by that man, made him someone bigger, bigger not just because he is a film star rather bigger because of his humility and down-to-earth nature.

Very truly said, when a person grows in life not just physically but also mentally they tend to develop an aura around them, and well that's what Mr. Shroff had around him. Still showing his humility and humbleness he bowed down to everyone present in the room and exceptionally spoke about how happy he was, to be the brand ambassador for the 14th Mumbai International Film Festival. During the Q & A session, spoke to the press addressing everyone as "Bhidu" 

Post the press briefing, I got to hear that I will get an opportunity to interview this Big man, And when I heard that for a minute I thought, maybe I might not do justice to the interview, but after listening to my fellow mates interviews. I just felt, I should interview this man, and apparently as per plan after 3 television anchors, it was my turn to anchor this man! But due to the paucity of the time, sadly my turn never really came. A regret that will remain for life!

I was very much dejected only to find Mr. Shroff walking pass me, but still I asked once again with a sad face, "Can we please have an interview?" Well to that he felt very bad and wanted to do the interview. But as he had rush to catch a flight, the next sudden option that came to my mind was, I guess I need to click a photograph with this person. (I'm not a person who clicks photos with every film stars that I meet but Mr. Shroff was different) It didn't take me a minute, I instantly asked him for a photograph and yes he certainly did click a photograph with me. I guess that photograph is something that I will preserve forever. Not because it was with a film personality but because it was with an amazing individual. 

Thank you Mr. Shroff for being the person you are! Indeed, blessed to meet you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goan Catholic Roce Ceremony

Touching Lives --- Asha Arondekar

Smile and the world will smile back...